Friday, August 16, 2013

A Day in the Studio


Today I thought I would do something different. I thought I would  chronicle a day in the life of my studio.

9 am. In the studio and doing a quick clean up. Finding places for all the new fabrics (bolts and cuts) that have arrived in the past couple of days.

Pulling fabrics I would like to use today. These are the super buys I got last week at 50 and 70% off! Mostly rayon / rayon blends. Hey! Guess what? Two of my new Bella solids also work with these!!! 


The blues and aquas.

The pinks. The two prints are a sheer rayon.

Now time to dig into my pattern collection to see what I can come up with. These are being sewn into items for ME. I plan to take the results to Fabric Fest.

10 am. Pattern figured out! 

I am concerned as by measurements I should not begin to fit this pattern. But at the same time, I sewed a blouse a month ago from another designer with similar measurements and had a relatively good fit. I am going to go for it with a couple of modifications. I have added another inch to the side seams as well as 3 inches to the hem for this top. My bosom is my issue and I really do not like it when the room he girls takes vertically shortens my hem significantly.

This pattern calls for bias tape to stabilize and finish the armholes. I have none that matches and also am concerned that it will be too heavy. I spent a few minutes trouble shooting this and will use a simple rolled hem to prevent weight drag while finishing. I will do the bottom hem to match.

The neck facings also concern me in terms of strength and stability so I decide to do them in the contrasting solid rayon rather than the sheer. The tie will match.

Fabric selections made and cut out.

I selected this fabric as there is plenty and I am willing to sacrifice it. I am nervous sewing for me. I am afraid after the work that it will not fit nor be aesthetically pleasing.

A slook of coffee and on I press!

1045 Time to wake up hubby to get the youngest from his morning day camp session. I have the body together. The sheer fabric has not been as difficult as I had feared. Next up, the neck.

Noon. Boys are now home. I got the neck line on the body. Took a huge gulp of courage and went upstairs and tried it on nervously. IT FITS!!!! :) I will need to bring the side seams in at the armholes but that will be done later. 

Now to figure out the neck facing.

1:00 all done! 

One light weight easy travel top completed for my Las Vegas trip. 

I am going to spend a bit of time with the hubby before he goes to work. I will be back at it a little later on today.

Funny thing. It is now the next morning! Some days the best laid plans get delayed. There is this thing called a house, little beings called kids, forgotten doctor's appointments, calls to process veggies from the school community for the lunch program...and then there is just plain running out of steam. This IS EXACTLY how a day in the studio goes though. It fits around life.

One more note regarding this post. It took me until I was falling asleep to realize that I did not put the cute little tie on this top. That will get finished today. Right now, I need coffee,to start the mom taxi up for the day and then  get back in to the studio for another broken day of sewing.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment