Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fabric Fest Day 2


What an amazing experience this is turning out to be!!

My first class of the day was children's Pattern Drafting with Liz and Elizabeth Evans of Simple Simon &Co. These two gals, both named Elizabeth married two brothers and now have the same name. Imagine airport security when they travel together O.o


See all those lines? Yes, I know it is not the best photo but see all of that? I made that!! It is a "sloper" of a bodice front and back for a size 6 girl. It actually has loads of information and is the first step in pattern drafting. 

These ladies were great at translating the somewhat Greek mythical language of mathematical formulas into understandable and usable information.

I am so glad that I took this class and will soon be putting the information to good use. During the class, I won a really beautiful piece of vintage trim that I am going to work into my first project using my newly gained (emergent) skill. (Insert trim photo)

Lunch was next. Each meal (and lineup, class, elevator) I am meeting new people. Today was several ladies hailing from Texas and Utah.

While I was eating my lunch a lady came up from behind, threw her arms around me and said "you are my FAVOURITE person in the room!" There were 300 ish people in this room <blush>.

I instantly recognized her as one of the  instructors when I turned around. She started going on about how she loved my top, how it looked amazing on me and how she was so pleased to see HER FABRIC on me! <blush brighter red>. I did not correlate that Amanda Herring was the designer behind the fabric I was wearing. We took a photo ( insert Amanda photo) and I will forever feel so thankful for that exchange. I actually had many compliments on my outfit which had teal capris on bottom. For a gal like me, these small things are huge. I thought I would feel very out of place but I do not.

Shortly after that exchange I won a pattern in a random draw. 

This would look so darling using the (camping) line from Riley Blake that has just come out. 

The keynote speaker was Eleanor Burns. I admit, not being a quilter I really had no idea who she was. I know my quilty friends will think that a) I am insane and b) have sinned on some level. She is HILARIOUS though! 

I had picked my next class simply because I liked the brightly coloured little quilt it made called Kylie's Kite. Now I was excited for it to begin as it was being taught by Eleanor Burns.

Aside from a broken bobbin on a $3800. (USD) machine that made me have to resew about 40 seams the class was fabulous! Eleanor even came around and signed all our patterns. She has been in the quilt design business for 35 years and I suppose she is the Paul McCartney of the quilt world. (Insert photos of quilt).

This evening we all had dinner together and enjoyed a fashion show. There were so many beautiful quilts as well as clothing... Even a wedding dress! I will add all those photos from the camera when I get back home.

The most exciting part of the Fashion show (for me) was the reveal of Bonnie Haysom's fall line for Fishstick's Designs. I am one of her pattern testers and will be working on these really cute items over the next couple of weeks.

So very many beautiful items were shared today. I have a trillion ideas swimming in my head and should really be counting quilts (rather than sheep) and falling asleep.

Goodnight from Vegas!!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment