Friday, October 4, 2013

Bring on the Aprons! Fall is here.

Here it has been a couple of weeks since my last post. I REALLY need to figure out where the time sneaks off to!

Today it is dreary and rainy out. At just a few degrees above freezing it is a timely reminder that our long winter is just around the corner! It is time to break out the crock pot, turn on the fireplace and settle in for a winter of sewing and knitting.

The kids are now into a routine with school and the mornings are getting easier. All these long years I had awaited to have my "free time" and had hoped it would be like fireworks and heavy weight lifted from my shoulders. That is not how it has turned out though. Those first two day I was busily getting ready to leave for Vegas (I owe you all so very many posts about Vegas), then when I got back I combined some sort of desert bug, airliner bug and kindergarten boogers to make a new world plague that sapped me to bed for three days.  The next week the school decided to have it's first round of the 3 day stomach bug and so it went through our house ever so eagerly for the next 9 days. Suddenly it is OCTOBER!! HOW did that HAPPEN?!?

Nechako Notionary is now "officially" open. Not with the fanfare I had hope for nor the inventory but life has been happening and so will the inventory (eventually). IT will come and I have some great plans for stock for the Christmas buying season.

Next week I am doing a little bit of a "giving back" project. I have always been active (very) in my kids' school. While I am taking this year off of having "official roles" so that I can sort my adult life out now that there are no preschoolers home, I am still available to be involved in areas as needed.

A week ago I was asked if I had fabric I would donate to a program at the school that I was instrumental in starting. They wanted to make aprons for a couple of the students that worked in the Farm to School program as part of their life skills. I asked who/how they aprons were going to be made and the person said they would "try to put something together". I got an idea and told her to let me work on something and get back to her. I approached the principal and she was immediately on board. Soooo... next week I am going to spend a couple hours a day at the school with a small group of life skills students and we (THEY) are going to sew themselves some aprons. I am pretty excited to do this and allow the kids to explore something that would not normally be available to them skills-wise as well as see the pride that they will have in their finished product.

While looking at various patterns out there for aprons, I came across this blog post from Apronista which is pointing to Tip Junkie  featuring 24 FREE apron patterns. I hope to find just what the students will need and perhaps one for me too for baking now that the weather has turned. Perhaps you will find something cute and functional for you too?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment