Thursday, September 19, 2013

Generosity


Generosity
 (also called largess or largesse) is the habit of giving without expecting anything in return. It can involve offering time, assets or talents to aid someone in need. Often equated with charity as a virtue, generosity is widely accepted in society as a desirable trait. ~ Wikipedia

I try to participate in various "giving acts" as they come up. The most recent was taking pillowcases to Riley Blake Fabric Fest for Conker Cancer. It feels good to give when I can, and is often not an imposition on me in the least.

But what of the recipients? How do they feel?

I was recently made privy to that immense experience. You see, I do have medical issues that are chronic. Sometimes very debilitating, but other times one would not know I was ill to look at me. I am very fortunate to have a team that looks after my needs, is willing to explore options and does their best to make my daily life the best it can be. I have ongoing treatments in our hospital's oncology unit to keep me "well".

There are fabulous groups in our community (like so many others as well) who support the Oncology unit. Recently I was gifted a comfort item to use during my stays. It was a fabulously beautiful quilt made by The Gospel Chapel E.F.C. Ladies using the Sweet Nothings line from Riley Blake.


A number of things stuck me... 1. the sheer number of quilts that came in that donation. I have been around the unit since its' inception and this was a massive donation. 2. The number of "manly" quilts. It is so lovely to see that the men are looked after in this donation. I have seen some pretty burley men in some rather dainty quilts from time to time. 3. The overall diversity of the quilts...for ladies, men, younger folk and even children. 4. The quality of both the workmanship and the fabrics. Every one of these quilts that I have seen has literally been a work of art.

As I was gifted mine, I was nearly brought to tears but at the same time had a huge smile on my face. It was a design that was bright and cheery with a fabric line that I love. I even have a couple of bolts from this line in my own fabric stash! It was a quilt that was "ME". That was a few months ago.

Today, I was again reminded of the generosity of this fabulous group as my quilt was brought out of the "quilt oven" and placed on me, tucking in my shivering, sick, aching body. It was a slice of heaven, of comfort and love.

To all of you who have participated in an act of generosity... THANK YOU...from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Your acts of kindness do not go unnoticed. They are appreciated. The love you put into your items is felt. I may have never met the donor of my quilt (or perhaps I have and it is someone I do know that is part of that group) but I do feel their love every time I have my quilt. 



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment