Saturday, July 27, 2013

Something for Izzy


A few weeks back as I was scrolling along I came across a really sweet dress that called out to me and Izzy happened down the stairs and saw it over my shoulder. She immediately started squealing and jumping up and down...really she did, I kid you not. She begged for me to make it. The Maysen was not even at testing phase yet. Astrid was simply giving a sneak peek but we all went crazy and begged for tween sizing...then bugged her some more, begged a little more, and flat out DEMANDED it LOL.

Then it was announced there was going to be a `Mash up` contest. That is where you take two or more patterns and alter your design utilizing qualities from each. Right away again, I KNEW what I wanted...the Delany and Maysen combined. Hey Astrid....got that Maysen Tween out yet??

Finally the pattern was released earlier this week and I have it purchased! I have had another crazy week of tending to our burn patient Ben so I am behind the 8 ball and did not make this weeks goals on time. The deadline for the mash up contest was noon today but that is ok...I am sewing for me (aka my kids) this summer...for my pleasure, not accolades. It is my birthday today and I am going to live guilt free and extend MY deadline to Monday...because I can!

I have my pattern printed after fixing the printer and realizing I bought the WRONG INK......AGAIN!! Thankfully a good shake and there was enough in the old cartridges to eek this one out.

I want this dress to be soft. I am envisioning great summer wear but also winter wear as well with a simple white t shirt under. I have just the fabrics in mind...yellows, greys and white. The high low skirt of the Maysen adds current styling, a ruffle bottom and for the bodice I would like a closed back with the three way big bow cross over ties. Sounds like a mouthful doesn't it? It is going to be SO FEMININE!!!

The sewing of it was simple. It still astounds me all these years later that a few shapes can become a pretty garment. I had to wait until this morning for Izzy to see the results, actually she had no idea I was making it so it was a lovely surprise hanging on her bunk ladder.

I used the standard bodice of the Delaney, but rather than button holes that I felt would compress the straps too much I added vertical loops and the 3 way cross over big bow option. On the Maysen skirt, I did not remove the suggested 3 1/2 inches for the ruffle, but rather left it to compensate for the short bodice. I did make this a size larger than normal so it will get good wear.  Sad to say but in less than 12 weeks we will have snow on the ground.










Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment